Thursday, October 18, 2012

Time well spent with the Boy Scouts of Taiwan






We arrived at the Taoyuan International Airport evening of October 3, 2009. The weather was good as I watched from the window of our Kuo Kuang airport bus that took us to Taipei Main Station. When we got off the bus, we took a taxi waiting nearby and brought us to our hotel. As we approached the street towards our hotel, I saw the neon sign written in chinese and told the driver our direction as if I am familiar with the place ( thanks to google earth). Few minutes after, we arrived at the hotel and welcomed by the hotel staff. A hotel receptionist at once handed me a message that reads" "Welcome to Taipei" "my mobile no. is............... I'll see you tommorow morning." It was from my brother scout Chang who was closely monitoring our arrival.
After setlling down at the hotel, the city is almost closing. We had to retire and get ready for the next day. I knew it is going to be exciting and enriching for us.

The next morning, I called Director Chang informing of our arrival and thanking him for the Welcome message. He then set our meeting and told us our arranged schedules for the Boy Scouts of Taiwan. Typhoon Parma by that time is on its way to the island. There were endless rains and strong winds but not enough reason to cancel our previously agreed itineraries. Director Chang fetched me from the hotel and we then traveled to Shimen Community Scouting event located at Taoyuan County which is about an hour drive from the city. I was warmly welcomed by all scouts. Had a short thank you speech in english as Chang translated every statement I delivered on their local language. There were flashes from numerous cameras taken while I deliver my speech. My presence perhaps was a delightful treat to all taking souvenir photos of me and my BSP uniform. It was a great honor for me to speak in front of my Taiwan brother scouts. After the ceremony while the scouts are doing their respective tasks, all leaders and myself including Director Chang posed for some souvenir pictures and then latersaid goodbyes.

Next stop was the scenic Shimen Reservoir where tourists and locals often visit for pleasure walking and good cardio work outs. I had the opportunity to take photos at the viewdeck on top of a hill overlooking the wholeness of the huge reservoir. Then Director Chang took us to a place nearby to sample the taste of some local delights mostly made of beancurd and some bellpeppers. I enjoyed it very much!



Afterwards, we then visited Director Chang'g residence at Daikin townhouses in Longtan area. The place is very much reminicent to Serendra townhouses back in Manila. We sipped some "oolong tea" and tried some special beanpaste cakes that were prepared in celebration of the Taiwan's "Moon festival". I had some nice chat with Director Chang's good friend Gene.

By 7 in the evening, we proceeded to a Chinese restaurant where Chang's wife and two sons were waiting for us for a traditional chinese dinner. As I recall, we had bamboo shoot dish, pork intestine dish, some oyster omelets, smoked duck dish, white chicken in sweet soya-ginger sauce and clam soup for finisher. I also had the famous Taiwan beer as my beverage. A treat indeed that I truly appreciate!


 We got up early next morning and prepared for our formal breakfast meeting with the Boy Scouts of Taiwan's Chief Commissioner no less than Dr. Chao Shou-Po and his International Commissioner Dr. George Huang. They were both very kind and accommodating. We enjoyed our meeting as we enjoyed the buffet at Miramar Hotel. Exchanging pleaseantries and opinions on many things about scouting and our home countries Taiwan and the Philippines. It was an enriching talk with two great men of Taiwan.

The weather was still bad but we went ahead of our plans otherwise. We visited Boy Scouts of China (Taiwan) Headquarters at Chien Kuo N. Road, Taipei. Met with Director Chang's office staff, visited their museum, the event hall and took some time at their scout shop where I bought some stuff for souvenirs. We had some more pictures taken at the headquarters.

Our next stop supposedly was the Boy Scout Activity Center at Yangmingshan National Park but due to the continuing rains, we deferred it until the weather cooperates.

It was a great experience indeed! Brotherhood among scouts has proven time and time again. In the midst of life's present challenges and differences, it always speaks loud and clear: "We are one regardless of race and creed".

I will sure visit Boy Scouts of China (Taiwan) again. I wish I could join them in their scouting activities where I can interact more and share some skills. Truly enriching time spent with every destination I have been and with every person that I encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment